Anthony Yarde could be in line for a showdown with Ben Whittaker early next year, provided Whittaker comes through his upcoming IBF light heavyweight eliminator against Conor Wallace on October 3.
Yarde, who holds a professional record of 27-4 with 24 knockouts, is looking to work his way back into the 175-pound title picture following his seventh-round defeat to David Benavidez last November.
The loss was another setback in Yarde's pursuit of a world title. The 35-year-old Londoner has previously challenged Sergey Kovalev in 2019 and Artur Beterbiev in 2023, coming up short on both occasions.
Yarde Expected to Return Later This Year
Yarde's trainer, Tunde Ajayi, has revealed that his fighter is expected to return to action toward the end of 2026. Nigeria and a potential event staged by Balmoral Promotions are among the options being considered for his comeback.
Should Yarde return as planned, attention could then turn toward a potential meeting with Whittaker in the opening months of 2027.
Ajayi indicated that discussions have already taken place with Matchroom CEO Frank Smith regarding a possible fight. According to the trainer, Whittaker's team previously indicated that the Olympic silver medalist would not be ready to compete until early next year.
“We spoke to Frank Smith about a fight with Whittaker, and they told us he wasn't going to be ready until early next year,” Ajayi said.
Whittaker Fight Could Take Priority
A potential matchup between Yarde and long-time domestic rival Joshua Buatsi has also been discussed, but that fight appears to be competing for attention with the possibility of facing Whittaker.
With Whittaker's profile continuing to rise, a fight between the two could offer Yarde a major opportunity to remain involved in one of British boxing's most compelling light heavyweight matchups.
Ajayi believes Whittaker is now following his own path but stressed that Yarde is willing to face the sport's emerging names.
“Ben is on his trajectory now, and people have always tried to build their name on Anthony Yarde,” Ajayi said.
The trainer also made it clear that Yarde still wants the long-discussed bout with Buatsi, while welcoming the opportunity to test his fighter against Whittaker.
“I don't want Ben Whittaker to be another Joshua Buatsi where your whole career is built off us and you still don't fight.”
Ajayi added that Yarde would relish the opportunity to share the ring with Whittaker and believes his fighter has already demonstrated his willingness to take on challenging opponents.
“If you want a fight, you know Anthony Yarde is your man. He's a man who has proved himself over and over again.”
For now, Whittaker must first get past Wallace in October. If he wins and is ready to return in early 2027, a clash with Yarde could become one of the more intriguing all-British fights in the light heavyweight division.



